In order to make the conference theme development as open as possible, we are encourging you to comment about each of these themes, or suggest another. To enter into a discussion for each theme, follow the links below and add your comments. These will then be consolidated. If you have not already, you will need to register to join the wiki. At the 2011 Conference, a special workshop session highlighted a number of issues which keep coming up in Community Informatics (and at all conferences, hear about the same challenges), and it was felt that these should be the basis of the sub-themes for the conference. For all the ideals and theories which each of us bring to practice, there is always the grand reality check--sometimes the 'wall' is permeable, at other times, it remains a barrier. The issue is sometimes, technical, sometimes, social-technical, and all things between. Whatever the case, each situation is different and requires a high level of skill to navigate and sometimes, the strength and persistence to achieve a breakthrough. We want to hear these stories and reflections in our to improve the theories and practices that we work with. We are interested in papers and presentations as they are carried out in what are known as community informatics or development informatics, but of course, there are people working in areas such a social and medical informatics, as well as education, for whom these problems (and solutions) are equally relevant.
- Sub-theme 1: Bricolage in CI: Planning vs improvisation. Discuss this theme
- Sub-theme 2: Reconciling differences between clashing communities. Discuss this theme
- Sub-theme 3: The dark side of community informatics. Discuss this theme
- Other themes or topics: Do you have a suggestion? Discuss
Of course, we will also welcome papers dealing with other issues in community, development and social informatics, subject to space availability.
- 15.08.13 AMCIS Mini-track: Social Theory in Information Systems Research
- 28.08.13 11th conference of the European Sociological Association
- 10.09.13 Fifth International Conference on Internet Technologies & Applications (ITA 13)
- 14.09.13 2013 International Annual Conference on Social Media and Society
- 01.10.13 Academic Mindtrek Conference
- 13.10.13 World Social Science Forum 2013
- 22.10.13 IADIS International Conference WWW/Internet 2013
- 24.10.13 The 14th Annual Conference of the Association of Internet (AoIR 14.0)
- 25.10.13 InfoSocial 2013: Bridging Media, Technology and Social Science
- 28.10.13 Prato CIRN Conference